Saturday, February 9, 2013

My First Week in BARCELONA!!!!

Believe it or not, I am not in Pittsburgh right now! I am actually in a city in Spain called Barcelona. It has a lot of cool buildings. I will show you some of them right now.

This is the Sagrada Familia. It was built over 100 years ago AND (get this) it is still being built! It was designed by Gaudi a famous architect. Here is a picture of the outer place. You can still see the cranes.  

The next place we went to is the Casa Mila. It was also built by Gaudi and was the last structure he ever built. The roof has a very weird shape which is caused by the very weird shape of the attic. There are three structures on the roof that all have different purposes. These three purposes are; 1) to be a stairwell to lead up to the roof. 2) to be a ventilation shaft. And 3) to be a chimney. Here is a picture of the outside.

This is a stairwell.


And this is a ventilation shaft.

We also went to the Miro Foundation. It was built to admire the great artist Joan Miro. This is one of his sculptures. He calls it "woman". He had a lot of sculptures called "woman" and I did not like it.
This is the Gaudi lizard at Park Guell. It is a very famous park in Barcelona. (i of course mean Park Guell not the lizard). And Park Guell was (again!?!?) made by Gaudi.


Well, that is pretty much it for the first week! See you again, for the second week!




14 comments:

  1. Travis, so glad to get an update from you and to see all the photos of your adventure so far! That lizard is amazing -- wowsers! I wonder if you've had any new foods while you've been there so far? Anything you loved tasting? Anything you really didn't like? Will keep an eye out for future posts. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear kara,
      I have not had any "new" foods yet. But we have had a lot that I have had before. But it tastes different here. Some of my favorites: Baguette, steamed dumplings, cheerios, taste really different here. The baguette is better than at home. The steamed dumplings and cheerios so far are not as good as at home. Also, if you order a ham on baguette, just don't, because they put tomato paste and olive oil on it >:UP

      Delete
  2. Travis
    I've never been to Spain so loved your pictures and remarks. Did you take the pictures yourself? They are very cool. I am interested in hearing about your adventures and hope that you write more blog posts. I will show these to Sam since he thinks you are very cool.
    cheers MJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MJ, Thank you for your comment. Say hi to Sam for me. My mom says to tell you she misses you a lot. We wish you and Sam could come visit. Stay tuned to the blog. Thanks for being my fan.
      Yours,
      TRAVIS

      Delete
  3. TRAVIS. I AM BLOWN AWAY WITH YOUR BLOG.
    YOUR GRANDMA D AND I ARE SO PROUD OF YOU!!!
    YOUR DESCRIPTION OF EVERYTHING IS SO AMAZING.
    WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING AND READING YOUR ADDITIONS
    EVERYDAY.
    LOVE,
    GRANDPA

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Travis! I am an old friend of your mom and dad's and I am so happy you are writing these blog posts. I visited Barcelona once a few years ago and my favorite things to see were the Gaudi buildings. So different and amazing. Keep on posting since you will be experiencing so much more of Barcelona than I did. Spain is a very cool place!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What amazing art! It must make you very creative to have such awesome things all around you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear CEO - I really don't know who you are. Who are you? Please explain yourself. - travis

      Delete
  6. Hi Travis, thanks for posting these photos and writing about them. It was very cool meeting meeting you over the summer. I love that you're blogging about the wonderful art in Barcelona. I'm a pretty big fan of Joan Miro, maybe his work will grow on you a little while you're over there. Be well and I look forward to your future posts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Travis:I wish I was there to. Explain how it is like there? Also, this is from Jacob Newman, not Kathy Newman, my Mom, even though her picture is going to appear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jacob, It's just like home except in Spanish. This is Travis even though it has my mom's name and photo too.

      Delete
  8. Thank you, Travis for sharing these wonderful pictures. When I was in art school, I was fascinated with Miro’s art. Did you know that Miro started making elaborate drawings when he was just eight years old? Miro was considered a Surrealist painter. A surrealist painting is art when you draw a common object and transform or change it into a surreal or unexpected object by giving the object characteristics that are not rational; for example, a pencil tied in a knot or a toothbrush with teeth. Another Spanish painter that had a surrealist style was Salvadore Dali and I hope you get to see his works too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Travis I wanted to tell you that tonight on 60 Minutes, the news program, they were featuring Sagrada Familia! And, because of your blog, I already knew what they were talking about! Very cool, thank you for teaching me about Gaudi!

    ReplyDelete